How to do music covers: If you are struggling for inspiration to write songs, maybe try performing a cover version of another song. This is obviously a big risk to take, so before you perform the first song that comes to your mind here are some pointers of how to choose and perform a creative cover version.
• Try picking something original. If a song has been covered numerous times then your version will get lost amidst the other versions. You want to pick something not currently in the chart, as people will hear that enough as it is, but you want to avoid picking an obscure song no one has heard of.
• Once you have decided on a song, listen to other artist's cover versions and how they've altered the original to make it their own. For example, Guns N' Roses version of ‘Knocking on Heavens Door’ or Fallout Boy’s version of ‘Beat It’ by Michael Jackson.
• You need to bring something new to the table and make the song you own. Things you can change around include the tone of the song, the tempo it is played at or even the instrumentation. Performing a straight up cover won’t show any imagination on your behalf. The more ways you can alter the original song to create something unique, the better. A slowed down, reggae version of ‘trouble’ by Taylor Swift would be something truly unique that would get people interested for example.
• Of course there are endless ways you can change the song; rewrite the lyrics, slow it down, speed it up, add adlibs or even add rap sections. Don’t change it for change sake but playing around with it will help with your song writing skills plus make it original.
• You should put as much effort into choosing and recording a cover version, as you would put in to recording your own song. Remember, the cover should be created, not carried out!
• Remember that people are more often than not going to always say they prefer the original. You are not trying to compete with that, you are merely putting a fresh spin on it and getting any version of the song back in the public eye.
• Whatever song you do the most important thing to think about is whether you’re connecting with the song. Trying to sing a song that you do not feel an emotional connection to will be plainly obvious to your audience, so a top tip whilst learning how to sing with emotion is to pick songs you understand and connect with.
Check out our other tips for singers below and check out our 2015 TeenStar singing audition dates by clicking here.
To keep up-to-date with other advice for singers, keep an eye on the TeenStar Facebook and Twitter pages:
Click the above buttons so you don't miss out!
TeenStar 2018 Audition Dates Now Released!
TeenStar 2018 audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only singing and dance competition exclusively for 19 year olds and younger, have now released their 2018 audition dates! …
TEENSTAR CHAMPIONS 2017!
TeenStar have crowned Annabel and Scandalous Productions the overall 2017 winners!
TeenStar Champions: The national singing and dance competition TeenStar has found its latest winners! Joining a long line of prestigious …
TEENSTAR PRIZE WINNERS
Judges’ Top Scores and Sponsor Prize Winners Announced
The TeenStar 2017 Grand Final prize winners and judges’ top scores have been revealed! The national singing and dance competition TeenStar Grand Final took …
MUSIC COMPETITION OPEN MIC UK 2017 AUDITION DATES RELEASED
Music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017 have been announced!
Open Mic UK have announced their music competition auditions dates for Open Mic UK 2017! The Open Mic UK music …
TeenStar audition dates now released!
TeenStar audition dates are now released! TeenStar, the UK’s only competition exclusively for pre-teens and teenagers, have now released their audition dates! And new for this year it’s also open …
RACHEL ANN CROWNED TEENSTAR CHAMPION!
Future Music has crowned Rachel Ann as the overall winner of TeenStar 2015.
TeenStar Champion: The national singing competition TeenStar has found its latest winner! Joining a long line of prestigious …
MUSIC BUSINESS – TEENSTAR GRAND FINAL JUDGES’ TOP SCORES
Music business judges’ top scores from the 2015 TeenStar Grand Final.
Music Business: The TeenStar singing competition Grand Final’s judges’ top scores …
AWARD WINNERS – TEENSTAR GRAND FINAL WINNERS
2015 TeenStar Grand Final award winners.
Award Winners: The TeenStar Grand Final took place at The NEC in Birmingham on Saturday 25th July. The TeenStar grand finalists performed in front of a …
PLAYING THE GUITAR
How to use dynamics when playing the guitar.
Playing the Guitar: Dynamics are essential when playing the guitar as they help to spice up your playing, and also your songwriting. Using dynamics when playing the guitar …
Information on The Voice auditions.
Voice Auditions: The Voice is a British television talent show created by the BBC. There are two stages to The Voice auditions; the producers' auditions and the blind auditions.
TALENT COMPETITIONS – DEVELOPING CHILDREN’S VOCALS
Ways in which talent competitions can be used to help a child’s development.
Talent Competitions – Developing Children’s Vocals: Many singers choose to enter …
SINGING AUDITIONS – TIPS FROM MUSIC INDUSTRY JUDGES
Pointers on how to impress music industry judges at singing auditions
Singing Auditions – Tips from Music Industry Judges: Here are some pointers on how to impress the judges …
NETWORKING TIPS FOR SINGERS
Networking tips for the music industry
Networking Tips for Singers: Networking is the opportunity to speak and connect with people who you may have never had the chance to before. For musicians it’s an …
MUSIC PERFORMANCE TIPS FOR SINGERS
Tips to improve your music performance
Music Performance Tips for Singers: Being able to deliver a good music performance can often be something that sets your performance out from the rest. It’s …
SONGS TO COVER – MAKING A COVER ORIGINAL
How to choose songs to cover and make original when performing
Songs to Cover – Making a Cover Original: When songs to cover you want to stand out and be remembered, a good way of doing …
PERFORMING AS A SINGER
Tips on performing for singers.
Performing as a Singer: Performing is one of the most important parts of being a singer. Although the voice is important, knowing how to entertain your audience through your …